Monday, February 20, 2012

GOT TWO SATURDAY #26&27

Saturday I hunted the farm my dad was born on - it is Uncle Buddy's farm now. I drove up to the spot I had in mind. It looked perfect. Lots of green briers grown up around old farm junk. It made me think of my grandfather and how many times he must have hunted this spot.My dad tells a story about how Pop Pop blew the barrels up on his shotgun. He always carried some heavy loads for when he saw a hawk or fox while hunting. My Uncle Albert had used his hunting coat and left a 20 gauge shell in the pocket. Pop Pop saw a hawk in a tree, grabbed what he thought was a heavy load and loaded it in to his 12 gauge. The 20 gauge shell slide down the barrel and didn't fire. He opened the gun, saw no shell and dropped in a 12. The 12 went off with the barrel being restricted by the 20 gauge shell. The barrel was destroyed and had to be replaced.I remember big piles of quail getting picked in their front yard. I couldn't guess how many quail he shot in his lifetime.I don't remember a lot of rabbits but I'm sure he shot his share.
I let Keavy out and she went to the perfect tree.The dogs went down the edge and I took one step in to the briers and out came a rabbit.Keavy was on him fast.DSCN1123I got the rabbit in the bag, Keavy went back to a tree & we started hunting for another.It wasn't long and we jumped #2. Keavy had a ways to fly to this one. I saw her dive but I heard no squeal. When I got to her she was on a log looking for the rabbit.The dogs started trailing it.Keavy got back in a tree and within a few minutes she flew out a ways and dove in. I heard the squeal, we had #2 for the day.DSCN1119 I got Keavy on my glove and went back to the Kia. I put the rabbits in the Kia. Turned Keavy loose for #3. We all tried hard too. We jumped 3 more, Keavy got fur out of one and just couldn't catch the others.DSCN1131Come on Pop Pop I know you were watching from above. You didn't need to shoot the hawk. You use the hawk to get the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment