Monday, October 18, 2010

EARLY DUCK SEASON

This Saturday was opening day for ducks.Rick and TJ were at my house at 6 a.m.
The ducks have been roosting on the wetlands at night and leaving every day at first light. Most all the ducks take the same flight path every day coming and going.
Rick and I hid in the weeds along the back lane about 3 or 4 hundred yards from the wetlands. TJ hid back by the flood pond.
We were all in place by 6:35 and shooting hour was 6:45. The first ducks, most of them mallards, came across a few minutes early. I waited till the first big group of wood ducks came and the duck shoot was on. I was shooting my double barrel 20 and emptyed it five times. Rick and TJ were shooting 12 gauge autos. The ducks were all gone by us in five minutes. We got 7 ducks total.IMG_1199 TJ shot the best: 2 ducks with 2 shots.IMG_1206Rick got 3IMG_1205Rick and I walked to the flood pond and 1 woody got up out of it. I killed it, giving me 2. IMG_1201That duck fell in the pond and Janey retrieved it.IMG_1194We hung around the pond a few minutes in case more would show up but none did .IMG_1207Took some pictures.IMG_1210Then went back and cooked breakfast.IMG_1227Rick brought waterfowl sausage that he made and TJ brought fresh eggs from his home flock. After breakfast we cleaned the ducks. I had to take more pictures of them. You can see why the Wood Ducks are considered the most beautiful duck. IMG_1220They are also the best eating duck.IMG_1230

No comments:

Post a Comment