Monday, January 9, 2012

GOOD WEEKEND

Had Rick and his son Ricky for brush beaters on Saturday. Rick has hunted twice (when she missed rabbits) and Ricky hadn't hunted with Keavy yet. We hunted over on Bill's farm where I jumped a rabbit in the first few minutes. Keavy dived for it but the rabbit made it to a big brush pile. We hunted for a couple of hours and didn't jump another rabbit. We did see a couple of bucks - one had a nice rack. We left there and went to the cemetery on my back lane. There Ricky jumped a rabbit but it made it to the cover in the field before Keavy could get to it. I got one out of the brush pile down the back lane and saw it run across the lane. She went for it but it made it to cover. Keavy then flew across to the woods and watched the big brier patch that has had a lot of rabbits in it. Rick gave up and went back to the house. Ricky and I kept hunting, we only went a few yards and I jumped one. Keavy made a dive and short chase and #12 was in the bag.P1070022
Sunday I took Keavy to Peters T's house. His land has good cover and he sees rabbits. His neighbors, the Vooris family, were interested to see Keavy hunt. I gave them all sticks and turned Keavy loose. Within a few minutes she was high in a pine tree hanging by her wings with a squirrel in her talons.P1080039 I could see the squirrel tail moving, looked like she had it by the head. She hung there for several minutes before gliding to the ground.P1080041 #13 turned out to be our first squirrel. Once I got the squirrel in the bag, Keavy went back to hunting. We went through some good cover and she went after something but we didn't see what it was. I called Keavy back and headed home.P1080045
It was only 3 o-clock and I had to try one more spot. I headed to the thicket at the end of my back lane. There are more briers there then I wanted to get into and hadn't hunted yet. It wasn't as bad as I thought and I was able to chase a rabbit out. I didn't see the rabbit but Keavy flew by me and out into the field about a 100 yards and dove in.P1080047This made a first for Keavy and me: two critters in the game bag/on same day. P1080052

No comments:

Post a Comment