Monday, January 30, 2012

WEEKEND

Saturday Cindy and Rinker came over to go hawking with me.P1280226We made a big breakfast first. P1280229After eating, we loaded Keavy and the dogs. We started at the hedge row by the wetlands.Keavy hadn't hunted since her night out and was ready to go. She got in a tree and I gave everyone a stick. It was Rinkers
first time hunting with a hawk.I jumped a rabbit within a few minutes.Keavy made a dive and hit the rabbit in some thick briers. We ran to her. She was on the ground with fur only. We hunted the the rest of the hedge row with Keavy staying in one spot. She seemed to think she knew something was there but we never got it to move.I called her down with the lure and we headed for the thicket. Keavy followed us through the thicket. We then hunted the field and got nothing to move so I called her down and put her in the truck.Then Janey started barking and I went over to check it out.She was barking at a bush pile. One kick from me and out came the rabbit. Keavy was in the truck. We will get that one another day.We headed behind my dad's.We hadn't hunted long and we got one moving. Keavy made a dive but the rabbit made it to thick green briers.The dogs gave chase.I saw Keavy make a dive into the woods.Rinker was in the right spot and got to see Dakota hit his brakes as Keavy came down for a perfect kill.P1280232I let Keavy have some rabbit and headed back to the truck.P1280234
We got back to the house and took a picture.P1280240I showed them how easy it is to skin and clean a rabbit.P1280246With the skin off we could see the damage Keavy did to the rear leg.P1280241.Rinker offered to help me cut and split some wood. P1280257Real good day: rabbit #21 and a nice stack of wood cut and split.
Sunday I was on my own. I went back behind the airstrip hunting. I jumped a rabbit really fast. Keavy missed on the first try. The dogs went after this rabbit hard. In only a few minutes Keavy made her dive and I heard the squeal. I ran over and found Keavy standing in the ditch. She was in the water and I thought she'd missed. Then she started dragging the rabbit up the bank. I was really shocked.P1290261 That was a steep bank.P1290260#22P1290278

No comments:

Post a Comment